Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://snipurl.com/qsbh

Attorney Gen.: Reporters Can Be Prosecuted
Sun May 21, 3:31 PM ET

AP - Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Sunday he believes journalists
can be prosecuted for publishing classified information, citing an
obligation to national security.

The nation's top law enforcer also said the government will not hesitate
to track telephone calls made by reporters as part of a criminal leak
investigation, but officials would not do so routinely and randomly.

"There are some statutes on the book which, if you read the language
carefully, would seem to indicate that that is a possibility," Gonzales
said, referring to prosecutions. "We have an obligation to enforce those
laws. We have an obligation to ensure that our national security is
protected."

In recent months, journalists have been called into court to testify as
part of investigations into leaks, including the unauthorized disclosure
of a CIA operative's name as well as the National Security Agency's
warrantless eavesdropping program.

Lucy Dalglish, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom
of the Press, said she presumed that Gonzales was referring to the 1917
Espionage Act, which she said has never been interpreted to prosecute
journalists who were providing information to the public.

"I can't imagine a bigger chill on free speech and the public's right to
know what it's government is up to — both hallmarks of a democracy — than
prosecuting reporters," Dalglish said.

Gonzales said he would not comment specifically on whether The New York
Times should be prosecuted for disclosing the NSA program last year based
on classified information.

He also denied that authorities would randomly check journalists' records
on domestic-to-domestic phone calls in an effort to find journalists'
confidential sources.

"We don't engage in domestic-to-domestic surveillance without a court
order," Gonzales said, under a "probable cause" legal standard.

But he added that the First Amendment right of a free press should not be
absolute when it comes to national security. If the government's probe
into the NSA leak turns up criminal activity, prosecutors have an
"obligation to enforce the law."

"It can't be the case that that right trumps over the right that Americans
would like to see, the ability of the federal government to go after
criminal activity," Gonzales told ABC's "This Week."

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.