Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://aaronglantz.com/012907Congress.htm

What I Told Congress
by author and journalist Aaron Glantz

[On Monday January 29, 2006 I spoke at a forum of the US Congress' "Out of
Iraq" Caucus in the Ways and Means Committee room of the Longwoth House
Office Buiding. The forum was officiated by Congresswomen Maxine Waters of
Los Angeles and Lynn Woolsey of Northern California. Below is a transcript
of my opening remarks.]

Congresswoman Waters, and fellow members, a year ago I published a book
called How America Lost Iraq. The book, based on my experiences as an
unembedded journalist, documented how the US military went from being seen
as liberators to the situation we have now - where the vast majority of
ordinary Iraqis support attacks on American soldiers in an effort to get
them to leave their country.

There are four main reasons for this:

** NUMBER ONE: All the things that were broken during the initial invasion
are still broken. There is no security, no ability to send children to
school without fear of kidnapping. There is almost no clean water, and
almost no electricity. Imagine trying to sleep without a fan during when
its 120 degrees in the Summer in Baghdad. Imagine four years without
reliable refrigeration. You would get grouchy.

**NUMBER TWO: The Abu Ghraib prison scandal, but not the one you saw on
TV. The Abu Ghraib prison scandal in Iraq is that so many people
imprisoned in Abu Ghraib prison. When the scandal broke two years ago,
there were more than 10,000 "security detainees" in Iraq. These are people
who were not charged with any crime and had no access to a lawyer or to
visits from their family. In 2004, the International Committee for the Red
Cross, which has access to the prisons, estimated up to 90 percent of
inmates were arrested by mistake. Even now, the US military holds an
estimated 13,000 people without trial in Iraq. This is not a good way to
make friends.

**NUMBER THREE: The attack on the movement of Muqtada al-Sadr. Many here
may not like his anti-American rhetoric and fundamentalist ideology, but
he is a man with a lot of street credibility in Iraq - his followers
provide food and security to the poor. His father and uncle were both
killed by Saddam Hussien. When the US military attacks a major social
movement with millions of members, it inflicts many civilian casualties -
causing many people who had never picked up arms before to start to fight
against our soldiers. It also causes Iraqis of all political stripes to
believe the United States has no commitment to democracy - that we only
want to control their country.

**NUMBER FOUR The attack on Fallujah. The first siege in the Spring of
2004, which came after four military contractors were killed and their
burning corpses hung from a bridge over the Euphrates River in the center
of town. The US military didn't just take revenge on the killers, but
against all the people of Fallujah. So many people were killed in the US
bombardment of Fallujah that the municipal stadium had to be turned into a
graveyard for the dead. And I've been to that stadium and I've seen the
mourners and the headstones and I can tell you that many of the people
buried there are innocent women, children, and the elderly.

Imagine if so many Americans were killed in Washington that RFK Stadium
had to be turned into a graveyard. People here would get angry. Some would
get violent.

Four things, the lack of basic services, the Abu Ghraib prison scandal,
the attack on Muqtada al-Sadr and the attack on Fallujah.

By the middle of 2004, almost every Iraq I talked to wanted the United
States military to leave their country. Since then, the situation on the
ground in Iraq has steadily gotten worse - with Iraqis killing each other
in larger numbers every year the occupation drags on.

Earlier this year, the respected British medical journal, The Lancet
reported that more than 650,000 Iraqis have been killed during the US
occupation. These are not just numbers but human lives.

On June 28, Alaa Hassan, a friend and colleague from Inter Press News
Service, was on his way to work when masked men ambushed him on a bridge
and machine-gunned his car. He is dead now simply because he was in the
wrong place at the wrong time -- one of so many people killed seemingly
for no reason in Iraq each day.

The US military could not save Alaa's life and it will not be able to
secure Baghdad or anywhere else, because it is the US military occupation
that is destabilizing the country.

I want to leave you with this story about a car mechanic I met in Baghdad
in 2004. He was a member of the insurgency. I asked him: "Mr Car Mechanic,
you're a member of the insurgency, what do you do?"

He told me: "Me and my friends we get together every night at a cafe. We
drink tea and smoke cigarettes and when the American troops come through
we hit them. And if no American troops come through we bomb the police
station because they're collaborators."

If you take the US soldiers out of this situation, this guy is just a car
mechanic and slowly, slowly peace will come to Baghdad.
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.