Ben, List,

Well, I hope we are now both mea culpa-ed out.

Just a couple of points as your message was overall quite clear. You wrote:

BU: I find it quite difficult to think of phanerscopic issues without
applying ideas as principles such as universality from logical
quantification, difficult because the logical structure of such ideas seems
pertinent to me. It's one thing to think that all phenomena are
such-and-such, it's another to address generality, 'all-ness' etc., as a
phenomenon.

I suppose this sort of thing--not a do-over--is what I was earlier
suggesting, and I recall Kees suggesting something similar for mathematics,
namely, that concepts, ideas, principles *will be* discussed by
mathematicians; the same is the case for phenomenologists, as well as for
theoretical estheticians and theoretical ethicists (if there are such
folk). It's not so much that these pre-logical sciences are built upon such
principles as you mentioned (although I think that's a bit of a thorny
issue, for example when considering the history of the growth of these
sciences), but that it's quite the ordinary thing for men and women to
discuss aspects of the sciences with which they are involved, especially if
they are purposefully intending to contribute to the growth of them.

On the matter of the presuppositions of reasoning and my question as to
what you meant by this "clarified at or near his logic's start" you wrote:

BU: In the Carnegie application (1902), he discusses [the presuppositions
of reasoning] at or near the start of his memoirs on logic. THEN he gets
into stechiology (a.k.a. speculative grammar, signs, objects,
interpretants, and their classifications). So it's quite as if logic begins
on a general level, covering presuppositions, belief, doubt, etc., then
gets into the three subdivisions of logic. Then in 1911 instead of
stechiology or speculative grammar, he puts a division called 'analytic'
first in logic, and it covers topics such as belief and doubt. Does this
include classification of signs? Who knows.

I would doubt that Peirce would drop the classification of signs from
logic's first branch whether he calls it stechiology or analytic or
speculative grammar. Yet this is at best only hinted at in the 1911
quotation you offered to the effect that the purpose of this first branch
is to examine "the nature of thought, not psychologically," but logically.
Still, that his examples of the definitions upon which critic is to be
based, viz., doubt, belief, learning, etc. doesn't include or make
reference to the classification of signs does seem peculiar.

So, since he'd done so very much work on the classification of signs, and
even late in life, it's difficult for me to imagine that that which figured
so prominently in earlier descriptions of the first branch of logic
wouldn't still factor, and in a significant way. Well, the quotation is
from a letter, not a formal essay or paper, and what one chooses to include
in a letter can be pretty arbitrary in the interest of making a few
particular points to the *audience of one* that you're addressing.

Finally, in passing (but considering that the present chapter discussion
concerns pragmatism which Peirce places in methodeutic), I found it
interesting that the quotation you gave concluded:

Methodeutic, which shows how to conduct an inquiry . . . is what the
greater part of my life has been devoted to. . . (CSP)

So, this is the branch of logic as semeiotic, not speculative grammar,
which Peirce suggests has been his central interest; and that makes sense
to me.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*