I just wanted to clarify some issues that may be unclear in what Peirce wrote
in L376:  "in the Monist of Oct. 1906... I made an attempt to make the syntax
cover Modals; but it has not satisfied me.  The description was, on the whole,
as bad as it well could be, in great contrast to the one Dr.  Carus rejected.
For although the system itself is marked by extreme simplicity, the description
fills 55 pages, and defines over a hundred technical terms applying to it.  The
necessity for these was chiefly due to the lines called “cuts” which simply
appear in the present description as the boundaries of shadings, or shaded
parts of the sheet”.

Many people interpreted this text as implying that Peirce was condemning the
tinctures.  But as he said explicitly, it was "chiefly due to the lines called
cuts”, which in 1906 were defined as cuts through the paper from the recto side
to the verso side.  The last mention of recto/verso was in R669 (May 1911).
From R670 (June 1911) to the last long letter in 1913, negative areas were
marked by shading, not by cuts.  From L231 (June 1911) to the end, Peirce also
avoided the word 'cut'.

In R670, he also mentioned tinctures as an option:   “The nature of the
universe or universes of discourse (for several may be referred to in a single
assertion) in the rather unusual cases in which such precision is required, is
denoted either by using modifications of the heraldic tinctures, marked in
something like the usual manner in pale ink upon the surface, or by scribing
the graphs in colored inks”.

I'm not discussing these issues as a criticism of anybody.  I'm just clarifying
several points:  (1) A notation for distinguishing "the universe or universes
of discourse" is important.  (2) Tinctures, by themselves, are not  a bad way
to express the distinction, but they could not be used in print in the early
20th C.  (3) But methods for distinguishing the UoD are necessary in any text
that happens to mention two or more.  (4)  This issue is important for any
discussion about L376, because Peirce explicitly mentioned the division of the
phemic sheet into multiple papers, which might express different opinions by an
utterer and an interpreter. (5) In R670 above and in L376 below, the utterer
and interpreter may refer to different UoDs and discuss entities in them.
Those discussions, when expressed in EGs, would involve lines of identity (or
quantified variables) that refer to universes and to entities in them that may
be abstract, imaginary, possible, or impossible.  Note that they may also
discuss "special understandings".  An understanding is another ens rations, as
Peirce would say.