Edwina, List:

ET: I’m not sure why you have defined the object as ‘dynamical’; and the
interpretant as ‘final’. Peirce didn’t do that in this section.

This is not at all controversial among Peirce scholars. He does not refer
to the *dynamical *object and *final *interpretant in 1903 because he has
not yet recognized that each sign has two objects and three interpretants.
We know for sure that the 1903 object is the *dynamical *object because the
1906-1908 trichotomy for the sign's relation to its dynamical object is
icon/index/symbol, identical to the second 1903 trichotomy for the sign's
relation to its object. We know for sure that the 1903 interpretant is
the *final
*interpretant because the 1906-1908 trichotomy for the sign's relation to
its final interpretant is seme/pheme/delome, the generalization of
rheme/dicisign/argument, which is the third 1903 trichotomy for the sign's
relation to its interpretant.

ET: I note that you have added, without informing the reader, all the terms
in brackets; they are not in the original writing of Peirce.

The use of brackets is standard practice when inserting words into a
quotation that do not appear in the original text, often for the sake of
clarification. CP, EP, and other published collections of Peirce's writings
do this routinely.

ET: What do YOU mean by ‘genuine’ and how does that explain the semiotic
process?

The term and concept are Peirce's, not mine. I suggest reading CP 1.521-544
(1903).

ET: And what is the functional difference between the three categories and
the three universes?

The three categories are the irreducible elements of whatever is or could
be present to the mind (quality/reaction/mediation), while the three
universes together contain whatever could serve as the dynamical objects of
signs (possibles/existents/necessitants).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt