Gary was not on your recipient list but you obviously intended for him to
receive it.  Peirce-l doesn't receive your messages, at least for the time
being. - Ben

On 4/22/2024 3:53 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
Gary and Ben,

Why do you insist on punishing me instead of Jon?  Or both?

You asked me to forward any note to Jon to you for prior approval.  I went one
step further.  I promised that I would never again send or reply to any note by
Jon.  As you may have seen, my notes to everybody else are perfectly fine.

The reason why I continued that thread is for one very simple reason:  I
refused to let Jon have the last word. There are many prominent Peirce
scholars, who subscribed in former years and some who continue to subscribe but
do not send any notes.  As some have explained (offline to me), there is one
very annoying reason:  Jon never allows anybody to have the last word.  Just
look back at many, many threads.  In every thread in which Jon is involved, he
has the last word.   And that is not because he had he stronger argument.

In many notes on very interesting threads, somebody will make one remark that Jon
disagrees with.  He'll respond to that point with "a barrage of quotations" (as
Robert Marty said) and ignore all the other issues.  And he continues on that narrow
thread until the other person stops -- usually from exhaustion or disgust.

You asked me to forward any note to Jon to you for prior approval.  I went one
step further.  I promised that I would never again send or reply to any note by
Jon.  As you may have seen, my notes to everybody else are perfectly fine.

So please restore by access to P-List.  I guarantee that there will never again
be any note from me that anybody might complain about.

And since I cannot say anything to Jon, I recommend that you make one
suggestion to him:  Please imitate Socrates, especially as Plato portrays him
in the early essays  Socrates never contradicts anyone.  He just ask questions.
 For people whose ideas are erroneous, inconsistent, or poorly thought out,
their answers quickly get them tied up in knots.

If Jon were to imitate Socrates, he could state all his comments and quotations
as questions -- and often get much more interesting responses.   Often from
people who have very  important  new ways of looking at the old issues.