Dear Steven,

In Ken Ketner's book "His Glassy Essence" it is mentioned on page 196 that Peirce's brother, Ben "met Charles Babbage to discuss mechanized computing".. .  For whatever that's worth.  I believe Ken Ketner is an electrical engineer as well as philosopher,  biographer, etc   and may have spoken elsewhere about Peirce and electric switching computers.

Jim Piat
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 3:30 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Peirce invented the "electric switching computer?"

Dear List,

There is a very nice and copyright free bio of Peirce from NOAA that I have copied into Panopedia for reference here:

   http://www.panopedia.org/index.php/Charles_Sanders_Peirce#NOAA_Giants_of_Science

The article is unattributed and makes the following claim, that Peirce was:

   " ... first to conceive the design and theory of an electric switching computer"

Now, I am not familiar with this claim - can anyone justify it with references?  Better still, can anyone identify the author?

With respect,
Steven

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]