Arnold says:

 I would venture to suggest (subject to the better sense of those on the list who have greater experince with the MSS than I have) that the notion of a Sign contains the concept of a transitive function, making a very strong case for what Thomas has said on this subject.  Other transitive functions in Peirce can be found in Vols III and IV of the CP (see especially 3.562)RE

RESPONSE:

You won't get any objections from me on that, Arnold.  Let me quote myself (from my dissertation many year ago (1966) on CSP's conception of representation):  "Peirce indicates in several places that he regards the nota notae as the generic inference principle (see esp. 5.320 and 3.183).  [Nota notae est nota rei ipsius: the mark of the mark is the mark of the thing itself.]  Further, he identifies this with the dictum de omni (4.77) [which is in Aristotle], and with what De Morgan called the principle of the transitiveness of the copula.  (2.591-92).  The latter is in turn identified with the illative relation (3.175), and this, again, is explicitly said to be the "primary and paramount semiotic relation." (2.444n1). I suggest, therefore, that all of Peirce's statements of the representation relation may thus be taken as so many variant expressions of what he understands to be expressed by the nota notae, the dictum de omni, the notion of the transitivity of the copula, or the principle of illation." (Charles Peirce: The Idea of Representation, 63)

Joe Ransdell
Checked by AVG Free Edition.