Frances to Jim...

It might be useful here to differentiate between the progressive
advance of a sign in its always being a combination of icons and
indexes and symbols to some degree, and in its being mainly of one
kind of sign in any given situation as dominantly an icon or index or
symbol, and in its being intrinsically only one kind of sign. The
proper personal name thus is intrinsically a lingual symbol but in
some situations can be dominantly a nonlingual index, such as an
identificative label or indicative pointer. If however the name refers
abstractly or discretely to a person in their absence, then it seems
to me that the name must then be mainly a singular symbol.

Calling a person by name in their presence and inciting an excited
response is the responsive effect of a stimulative cause, and thus
nothing more than a hyposemic situation of crude signaling. The
issuing of and the reaction to the sign is simply the result of an
engrained or conditioned habit. In fact, any nonlingual or lingual
sign assigned as an indexic indicator or expressor would likely do. In
regard to the personal name being intrinsic or dominant, it may go to
the actual assigning of the name to an individual person, which is an
overt action and thus indexic.

Furthermore and from an anthropic stance, the mere vocal utterance or
orthal letterance of a lingual name applied to a person who is in the
absence or presence of the signer, can be caused by only one phanerism
and that is a human organism, which makes all language in any form
intrinsically a natural index, well before it is mainly any other kind
of sign. From this position, the somatic act of speaking or writing or
naming seems to be intrinsically a causal subindexic expressor.

(Would the pretentious use of a "make-believe" name by an actor
performing on a stage in a fictional play make the symbolic name
mainly an icon? or does the use make it mainly an index?)
(Would my use of the personal name "Hitler" to express or excite
disgust make the symbolic name manly an icon? but then does the intent
or effect make it mainly an index?)

Jim partly wrote...
Suppose I am the signer. So, it makes a difference if I use "Frances"
in your presence or use "Frances" in your absence? It also makes a
difference whether I use the sign at all. Let me first get one case
straight. 1. I use "Frances" in your presence. Why would this be
anything other than an index? The use is a singular occurence. I agree
that the causal relation is suspect. But suppose I say "Frances" and
you turn your head. Here there is efficient causality.