Dear Jerry,

I don't have the kind of credentials you have for entering this discussion. I'm a professional novelist who has science as a hobby. So you may want to keep that in mind as you read on.

Saturday afternoon, a small group of members of the Washington Evolutionary Systems Society (WESS) will meet in the Department of Mathematics at Georgetown University to discuss "Into the Cool". (Eric Schnieder, Alicia Juarrero, Bob Ulanowicz and myself are among the founding members of WESS.) The discussion of "Into the Cool" is open and we invite you to participate. Eric has sent us some questions he wishes us to address. Professor Prigogine spoke to WESS on several occasions and was the only honorary member of WESS. In the WESSbook group we have discussed the books of many evolutionary theorists, including the works of Prigogine, Alicia Juarrero, Ulanowicz, Rosen, and perhaps a hundred others. (Victoria: We would be delighted if you would join us!)

Thanks for invitation. It sounds like a fascinating group. I mentioned (I think) in my first post that I haven't finished reading _Into the Cool_ yet. As I read further I see similarities between their idea that complex systems are "fueled by the gradient" and Peirce's notion that difference (which must spontaneously arise from sameness) drives complexity. Perhaps not incidently, it's also not so dissimilar from Hebraic creation myths which say that the universe began when the void was separated into day and night.

If I were wise, I would wait until I finished the book before discussing it. But I'm not wise, only anxious to be set straight. It seems to me that S & S's thesis in Into the Cool is this: The purpose of complex systems is to reduce the gradient. The second law of thermodynamics is responsible for the rise of complex systems. The latter statement must be a product of my misreading and I'm trying to correct it. Laws don't cause things: they are merely statements about the global effects of local mechanisms.

My comments then are: Reducing the gradient is what a complex system _does_, but what a complex system does does not explain how it arose. This seems to require an additional step. As S&S say, it is a pre-existing, sufficiently steep, gradient that causes a complex system to arise. In their words, complexity is "fueled by the gradient." This secondary claim seems inconsistent with what seems to me the primary claim that it is the tendency of the gradient to be reduced (the 2nd law) that causes complex systems to arise. The deeper question, it seems to me, is what caused the first gradient(s) to form? or as Peirce roughly puts it, How does difference arise from sameness?

The answer, I am coming to believe while reading S & S, has more to do with the mechanics behind the third law of thermodynamics, not the second. (Pressure in a given volume increases or decreases with temperature, at absolute 0 there is 0 entropy.) As S & S write, 'the presence of a nearby gradient puts pressure, sometimes literally, on particles moving willy-nilly to come together, however fleetingly, into gradient-reducing "selves."' (p.113) This section really appealed to my understanding of telic processes. As molecules become more dense, the speed and occurrence of communication increases, causing sameness to set in among the interacting molecules. When we begin to focus on instances of "communication" between molecules, Peircean semiotics becomes, I believe, important to understanding the mechanisms of self-organization. When semiotics enters, so does teleology.