From: "Benjamin Udell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 3:41 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Graphics in posts

List,

I've been considering Richard Hake's complaints about html, graphics, etc.,
in messages. Believe it or not, I have some sympathy for his views
(otherwise I wouldn't clean up my html markup or strive to make images be as
low-KB as I can with my amateur means). This sympathy developed and hardened
in the course of work experience some years ago at a corporation whose
internal branding requirements during the middle part of my time there were
dreamt up by some PC-semiliterate folks quite separately from awareness
about kilobytes, server capacity, and mass-pho'py stickiness. I've also
noticed that the Lyris server adds some sort of coding, with a lot of "20"s
& equality signs, which makes my html messages harder to read in the message
source as some people try to do. So I'm willling to take a few ameliorative
steps.

I am very glad that Joe maintains a policy of allowing html & images etc.,
but, since I've seemed to be the most frequent user of the graphic
capabilities, I'm willing to send a plaintext version to those who prefer
it, with links to the graphics which I'll put at some free image-hosting
service like imageshack.us or Flickr. I do not believe that listers
generally should be required to do this, but again, I'm currently the lister
making the most frequent use of graphic capabilities and I happen to find it
easy to take the described measures. I'll use html only when I'm including
tables or other graphics. So when you see html from me, you'll know that you
can just delete it because I'm sending you a plaintext version if--if--if
you've let me know (off-list) that that's what you prefer. Those who already
simply delete any message at all from me don't need to change their behavior
at all, of course, and they, too, have at least some of my sympathy!
Actually, I don't expect to hear from anybody about this, but I could be
wrong, so I thought that I should at least offer.

It is already the case that my html posts to peirce-l can be converted to
plaintext without loss of info as to italicization, etc., and I generally
arrange it so that the paragraphs are separated into email "divisions" (with
the "DIV" tags) rather than using the simple "breaks" (with the "BR" tags)
which some modes (I forget which) of plaintext conversion lose.  I do
recommend that any respondents delete whatever is unneeded in the response,
including my graphics if they're irrelevant. I don't know how every email
program works, but in the Microsoft ones, you can convert to plaintext by
clicking on Format, Plain Text. MS Outlook Express automatically deletes
images in the textbody in conversion to plain text; some other email
programs seem to allow incorporation of images in the supposedly plaintext
(or "unformatted") mode.

Best,
Ben Udell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]