Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:54 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: representing the ten classes of signs (corrected)

Vinicius, Robert, and list:

I take it that you have received in the previous message the image of the original MS version of the boxed triangle, in MS 799.02 (i.e. the second page in the MS 799 folder).  Notice the following:

1.  There are no Roman numerals, so that is clearly an editorial artifact (Hartshorne and Weiss).

2.  The numerals "1" through "10" appear instead, but seem clearly to have been added after the image was drawn and the names of the sign classes were entered, raising the question of whether they are due to Peirce or to some later editors.  (More on this below)

3.  The numerals associated with the boxes differ in one respect from the Roman numerals that were editorially added in the CP version, namely, in respect to the boxes at the middle and the bottom of the pyramid

4.  The names assigned to the boxes also differ in that same respect.  Thus both the boxes and the numerals associated with them have been, in effect, interchanged in the transition from the original drawing to the version in the CP.

5.  Someone has indicated with the line with an arrowhead at both ends that an interchange should be made, i.e. it seems very likely that this is the meaning of that line.

5.  This interchange makes the numbering on the original page the same, in effect,  as the numbering by the Roman numerals in the CP version.  Hence it is possible that, although there are no Roman numerals on the original, the ones on the CP version could be based on the numbering used on the original and very probably are, and therefore possible that the Roman numerals are justified as well in the sense that they reflect the original numbering.  But that is true only if we suppose that the numerals on the original were put there by Peirce.  But since they were put there after the drawing was otherwise completed, it is also possible that they were put there by the editors, too, in which case the Roman numerals are only an editorial artifact. as we first conjectured.

6.  This also supposes, though, that the line with the arrowheads at both ends that is presumably used to indicate the need to interchange the boxes is also an editorial artifact.  But what if that line was put there by Peirce?   In that case, the Roman numerals would be justified as an ordering device after all even if due entirely to editors, supposing that Peirce intended to number them at all.

7.  But did he intend to number them at all?

8.  And who is responsible for the idea of the interchange?  Peirce himself or his editors?  There may be some clue to that in the editorial comments to be found in the CP which are attached to paragraphs 2.235n and 2.243n.

9.  For what it is worth, I have not yet worked with those comments in the CP, but I do notice that in my copy of the CP I made a note to myself many years ago adjacent to the beginning of the note 2.235n, when I was studying this material closely at that time, that says: "This is not what Peirce is saying above", meaning that I did  not at that time think that what the editors were interpreting Peirce as saying in 2.235 was in fact correct.  I no longer recall why I said this, but I seemed to have spotted something I took to be wrong in the editorial understanding at that time.

Joe Ransdell