The numbers can be ignored altogether as far as I am concerned, or one could
use, say, the Greek alphabet instead of numbers or just leave the numbers
off.  All that is important for me is the class names and the understanding
that it is presuppositiional from the top down, which could be shown by
using down-pointing arrows for connective lines.  The use I would have for
the figure doesn't require that it have the properties required to transform
it in the various ways graph theory requires.  For my purposes its use is
primarily as a mnemonic for remembering what presupposes what. so that if,
in the process of analyzing a bit of discourse, say, one has identified
something as being of this class or that one knows ipso facto that a sign of
this or that other class is either presupposed by it or presupposes it,
directly or indirectly..  I imagine the use of it to be that of being able
to figure out what is going on in or going wrong with some actual bit of
persuasive argumentation, in a very broad sense of argumentation in which
even a work of visual art or a piece of music might be thought of as being
constructed argumentatively, supposing one can make good on the prospect of
being able to understand artworks\as arguments, coherent or incoherent.  The
application of this sort of thing to infrahuman life would be via the
collapse of genuine into degenerate forms (in the special sense of
"degeneracy" Peirce uses), the elimination of levels of reflection, and
whatever other modifications are  necessary to account for higher
developments of life.

This view of its use could conceivably be at odds with Peirce's own aims in
devising graphical representations of the classes, which might require that
the graphs have the properties you require of them because his aim was to be
able to learn some things simply from manipulating the graphs in various
ways.  But it seems to me that something gets lost there.  Perhaps something
of great philosophical interest will result from the use of graph theory,
but focus on what that might yield could be at the expense of what is lost
by conforming to its constraints where there is no need to do so since all
one needs is a graphical representation for mnemonic and other intuitional
purposes.  I am not at present aware of what may in fact have been
accomplished philosophically with the use of graph theory, but I can imagine
it being of interest for a great many other purposes which, for all I know,
may be far more important than the philosophical ones.  Moreover, I am not
saying that what has been done has no philosophical interest but only that I
am not myself aware of any such results from it -- and I lay no claim to
being well informed about it, which I am not..  I \am just saying that what
interests me does not seem to require anything more than I indicate above.

Anyway, one thing that occurs to me when I note that  Peirce's trek through
the presuppositional order in 2.254 through 2.263 begins with quality and
ends with the argument is that it seems comparable to regarding thought in
the Kantian way as a process of "unification of the manifold". as in the New
List.  If I understand Peirce correctly, he thinks of a quality as being a
given unity and simplicity which is, however, also regardable, reflectively,
as if it were an achieved unity -- the achievement being forgotten once
completed -- brought about through a unification process which builds the
given quality from a "manifold" of elements of synthesized qualia,
themselves regardable as if they are the simplified results of still prior
qualitative elements logically synthesized in the same way.  Or looking at
it the other way around, the completion of the argument yields a new
quality -- the argument assumes the appearance of a new quality -- which may
or may not play a similar role in a further synthesizing unification of the
same sort, and so forth.  In other words, there is something comparable in
that sequence to the line of development one finds in the New List, though
at a finer grained level of resolution, as it were.  This is a lame
description of what I am trying to draw attention to, intended only
suggestively.  That passage in CP 2 is not comparable in rigor to what
happens in the New List. to be sure, but the progression does have a
presuppositional complexity which seems comparable..  .

Joe Ransdell