I am appalled at the fact that one can confuse these two aspects, it reveals a complete misunderstanding of Peirce's categories.

You' are "appalled" at certain scholars' "complete misunderstanding of  Peirce's categories." That is to say, you have closed your mind to anything but your own decidedly narrow way of looking at things==you are completely right, anyone who thinks otherwise is completely wrong ("complete misunderstanding"). But at least we who don't see it your way are in good company. Peirce himself you suggest writes truisms, so
CP 1.537 Now in genuine Thirdness, the first, the second, and the third are all three of the nature of thirds, or thought, while in respect to one another they are first, second, and third.
JO: this is almost a Lapalissade, what is Peirce saying here? nothing more than that in a triadic relation, there are three things, a first thing, a second thing and a third thing.  (I'm using non-capitalized words for ordinals and the capitalized words 'First', 'Second', 'Third' to denote classes of relations or categories)
So either Peirce is a fool or his critic is. Peirce is no fool

You don't seriously inquire but look for confirmation of your own set in stone viewpoint (the complete opposite of Peirce's procedure which was endlessly self-critical), and perhaps only an ament--this English word has several meanings, but  I'm using it in the sense of "one with a short memory"--in this case of many places where your arguments were proven weak or questionable by certain participants this forum (not that you ever addressed any of that; how could you? it would have suggested that you might not be "completely" right), I say only an ament would act as you have in this recent discussion, forgetting that inquiry & the growth of knowledge is a threaded cable as Peirce said. I myself have nothing more to say to you here. If I am "appalled" by anything, it is that chauvinism should again try to pass for scholarship.

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
Bernard Morand wrote:
Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:

Here is an article that I scanned some time ago, it was written by Andre de Tienne:

http://www.medic.chalmers.se/~jmo/semiotic/Peirce_s_semiotic_monism.pdf

the first page is missing, but I think than anyone interested in signs and in triadic relations should read it.

to summarize: being a 'first', 'second' or 'third' within a genuine triadic relation (like in S, O, I) is a role, a function that the elements have with respect to one another (i.e. being something, being something else, being something that mediate between the other two elements), it is not a property attached to the sign, the object or the interpretant forever. The order of the elements (1, 2, 3) are like ordinal labels: they can change roles, because their function changes depending on how the relation is being analysed.

Yes I agree. May be the inverse argument makes things clearer: If the functional role of each element is determined by some categorial intrinsic quality of it, then the Categories (qua system) are nothing but an ontology for objects. This is precisely what Peirces' semiotic  was struggling against, I think.

This is also the aim of my little game. If you take "Protected Designation of Origin" (PDO) as a compound of elements each of which is capable of an intrinsic categorial determination, we will get:
Origin = 1 because it bears the value of Firstness
Designation = 2 because it is a Reaction, an agent/patient pattern,  between something that is pointed at and its name
Protected = 3 because it mediates betwen the designation and the origin.

But a relational analysis, that is to say the analysis of the roles of each partial element INTO the whole sign (Let PDO to stand for such a sign), shows:
- Designation for PDO remains a Second
while:
- Protected for PDO is a First
- Origin for PDO is a Third
Conclusion: The Origin is the interpretant of the Protection system for its object, the Designation : Some place in the South West of France is the interpretant of the AOC for Bordeaux.
The demonstration is quite complex because it involves a combination of rules given by CSP in CP 2.235, 2.236, 2.237 and I skip it:
235. We must distinguish between the First, Second, and Third Correlate of any triadic relation.
    The First Correlate is that one of the three which is regarded as of the simplest nature, being a mere possibility if any one of the three is of that nature, and not being a law unless all three are of that nature.
236. The Third Correlate is that one of the three which is regarded as of the most complex nature, being a law if any one of the three is a law, and not being a mere possibility unless all three are of that nature.
237. The Second Correlate is that one of the three which is regarded as of middling complexity, so that if any two are of the same nature, as to being either mere possibilities, actual existences, or laws, then the Second Correlate is of that same nature, while if the three are all of different natures, the Second Correlate is an actual existence.

The linguistic aspect of the game, and the syntactic habit in different languages is worth noticing too. The necessary linear structure of the linguistic chain can't mark easily such a triadic construction.  So we have virtually the ambiguity in every language: Protected (Designation of Origin) / (Protected Designation) of Origin. However the syntactic habit (inverse in French and in English) spares the complex calculus of knowing which is S, O or I by constraining their position in the chain. For example English puts the sign "Protected" at the head of the chain while French puts it at the tail.

Bernard

exactly, one can note that the _expression_ used by Peirce is "the one of the three which is regarded as ..." which makes it clear as you say that the categories used in that context have no ontological bearings. They are extremely weak categories, degenerate categories, relations of reason, ...

basically take one thing (A), take another thing (B) and you have a first (A) and a second (B), the firstness and the secondness here mean nothing more than "A is such as it is" and "B is other than A",  in the context of the relation that is being considered.

however when Peirce writes "being a mere possibility, actual existences, or laws" or "of that nature" he is referring to the phenomenological nature of the elements in their ontological aspect.

I am appalled at the fact that one can confuse these two aspects, it reveals a complete misunderstanding of Peirce's categories.

/JM

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]