So it would seem, according to Peirce -- at first.  But upon reflection,
what could that possibly mean? Since it is supposed to be something that
comes about only asymptotically, which is to say, not at all, it doesn't
seem to make much difference one way or the other, does it?  Then, too,
there is the further consideration that no sooner is one question
definitively answered -- supposing that to be possible -- than that very
answer provides a basis for -- opens up the possibility of -- any number of
new questions being raised.  Of course they may not actually be raised, but
we are only speculating about possibilities, anyway, aren't we?  And isn't
sporting something that might very well happen, though of course it need
not, so that the possibly is always there, and the absolute end of all is
not yet come to be?.  So . . . not to worry (in case the coming about of the
absolute end of it all depresses you): it won't be happening.  But if, on
the other hand, your worry is because it won't happen, I don't know what to
say that might console you except:  Make the best of it!   (Of course there
may be a flaw in my reasoning, but if so please don't point it out!)

Did you ever read Italo Calvino's _Cosmicomics_, by the way?  135 pages of
utterly incomprehensible cosmological possibilities!  Calvino must have been
insane.  How could a person actually write, and quite skillfully, a 135 page
narrative account of something that only seems to make sense, sentence by
sentence, and actually does seem to at the time.even while one knows quite
well all along that it is really just utter nonsense!

Back to Peirce.  I suspect he thought all along of this grand cosmic vision
that seems to entrance some, repel others, but leave most of us just
dumbstruck when pressed to clarify it, as being the form which the dialectic
of reason takes -- in Kant's sense of transcendental dialectic, in which
reason disintegrates when regarded as anything other than merely
regulative -- in his modification of the Kantian view.  The equivalent of a
Zen koan, perhaps.  Peirce says that God's pedagogy is that of the practical
joker, who pulls the chair out from under you when you start to sit down.
Salvation is occurring at those unexpected moments -- moments of grace, I
would say -- when you find yourself rolling on the floor with uncontrollable
laughter!  (Peirce didn't say that, but he might have.)

Joe Ransdell