Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Doctoral Defense

Dear list members,

particularly Brazilians or whoever happens to be in Brazil by the end of August.
I would like to invite you to the public defense of my doctoral dissertation on Peirce¨s classification of signs. Lucia Santaella, Nathan Houser and Thomas Short are part of the committee. Vincent Colapientro and Winfried Noth will be attending to it too. I think it will be a great opportunitie to discuss some hot topics of Peirce¨s logic and semiotic, as well as to hear leading scholars on the field. Needless to say that I will try to put an English version of it available online as soon as possible.

Best,
Vinicius Romanini

The School of Communication and Arts (ECA) of the University of S¨o Paulo (USP) is pleased to invite you to the public defense of the doctoral dissertation of Vin¨cius Romanini entitled

Minute Semeiotic
Speculations on the Grammar of Signs and Communication based on the work of Charles S. Peirce

Committee:
Lucia Santaella (Pontifical Catholic University)
Mayra Rodrigues Gomes (University of S¨o Paulo)
Dulcilia Helena Buitoni (University of S¨o Paulo)
Nathan Houser (Indiana University)
Thomas Short (Independent Scholar)

Abstract:

The work is dedicated to the branch of Semiotic that Charles S. Peirce called Speculative Grammar: the study of the formal conditions that enable a Sign to function as such, the survey of all possible types of Signs and their ordered classification. The Speculative Grammar is the first branch of Semiotic, Logic is the second and Communication is its third one. A fruitful semiotic treatment of the Communication depends, therefore, on that the Grammar and Logic are sufficiently developed. This was the motivation of this work. After an introduction about Peirce and the development of his Theory of Signs, we present a proposal for a generation of 66 Classes of Signs and make some considerations on how this table could help to solve some problems of Logic and to construct of a formally semiotic Theory of Communication.

The defense will happen on
Monday August 28, at 2:00 pm at the Department of Journalism of the School of Communication and Arts (ECA) on the University of Sao Paulo (USP) campus, Av. Prof. Lúcio Martins Rodrigues, 443, Cidade Universitária, S¨o Paulo, Brazil. There will be simultaneous translation English/Portuguese.

Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta. --- Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.