Ah, yes.

In that case, read the EXIF with PEL or PJMT[1], resize using
imagejpeg, and finally write the EXIF back to the image.

You could even read the EXIF data with PHP's exif_read_data but
there's no built in way to write it back.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

[1] http://www.ozhiker.com/electronics/pjmt/