http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/20010521/t000042643.html
Monday, May 21, 2001 |  Print this story
Preferences for the Rich Grease the Way to College
By WILLIAM MARSHALL

Opponents of affirmative action--the ones who believe that this
country is committed to equal opportunity based on pure merit--are
unhappy with last week's decision by the University of California
regents ending the ban on affirmative action in the UC system.
     Although I agree with the regents' decision, I invite the
opponents to join me in fighting another form of discrimination in
admissions: the practice of relaxing standards to admit the scions of
large donors. Fighting against these "wealth preferences" should be
philosophically consistent with the anti-affirmative action position
that admissions should be based entirely on merit. After all, what
merit is there simply in having been born into a wealthy family?
     Perhaps not surprisingly, the anti-affirmative action folks have
not raised the cry against wealth preferences. But why should
affirmative action for the wealthy be considered less objectionable
than policies that would give traditionally underrepresented groups an
advantage in getting into prestigious institutions? I would think the
distinction cuts the other way.
     First, unlike minority students, wealthy kids generally have not
been educated in some of the nation's worst secondary schools. Indeed,
there is an almost a 100% correlation between having lots of money and
attending really good high schools. There is therefore no need to
adjust admissions standards to give these kids an edge just because
their parents are wealthy.
     Second, unlike affirmative action for minorities, wealth
preferences cannot be defended on the grounds that wealthy students
have suffered a history of discrimination and/or continue to suffer
the effects of a demoralizing stigmatization. Who ever heard of a
prestigious institution where the wealthy had been systematically
excluded? Who ever heard of "wealth profiling"?
     Third, wealth preferences cannot be justified on the grounds that
admission to the nation's best schools would help assure that all
groups have access to the highest echelons of corporate power. After
all, right there in the highest corridors of power are the wealthy
kids' very own parents.
     It's interesting that the opponents of affirmative action are
often the same people who, rather than being committed to leveling
playing fields for all, are committed to enhancing the advantages of
wealth, i.e., eliminating the estate tax and reducing the
progressiveness of the tax code. So, again, I am asking: Are the
arguments against affirmative action really based on lofty notions of
equal opportunity, or are they based on protecting the existing
privileges of those who need it the least?

- - -

William Marshall, a Professor of Law at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, Was Deputy White House Counsel During the
Clinton Administration