Brown, Martin (NCI) wrote:

> I appreciate that there are some purely technical improvements and maybe
> even innovations which each new upgrade.   But the overall effect is to
> burden the user with more and more extraneous junk and require more and more
> frequent hardware purchases. <snip of stuff that i agree with>

i agree with all you say, though i would never accuse microsoft of
innovation ;-). my point was a minor one: that the technical
improvement in windows2000 (that it is a true multi-tasking OS
with user and system space differentiation) has (or should have)
important gains for users - a more stable system, especially the
gain that a crashing or hung program does not bring the entire
system down. of course YMMV, but much as i dislike microsoft's
OSs and their frequent unnecessary upgrade policies, i am glad to
have moved from win98 to win2000 on my dual boot PC (the other
OS i boot is linux).

        --ravi