In a message dated 5/23/2001 2:32:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I would like to see a short summary, 50-100 words, laying out what is at
stake, including how the word Eurocentrism is to be understood.  Does it
mean ignoring the accomplishments of non-European areas; or their
contribution to the development of capitalism?

Looing through Blaut's notes I see a reference to The Myth of the Continents,
by Lewis and Wiggin, a work worth reading as it tries to replace the whole
terminology with something new, or at least see the way 'Eurocentrism' (to a
partial degree) is self-provoked by the use of the term 'Europe'. It is
interesing that Herodotus was already complaining about the way the Greeks
began to divide Europe from Asia for understandable reasons perhaps in
eastern meditarranean seafarers.
Blaut seems clearly influenced by this book which nixes the continent
'Europe' for Eurasia, the distinction 'East West', and more casualties.
So one solution is to stop using the term Europe....So once upon a time,
somewhere, on the fringes of Eurasia a new mode of production, etc...

John Landon
author
World History and the Eonic Effect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]