I hope Eric Nilsson  won't mind if I argue with a parody of his
argument, rather than with what he has been saying. It is much easier to
defeat a parody than it is to seriously consider a real,
living argument. After I have disposed of the parody, I will return to
the real thing.

What Eric *really means to say* (click, parody mode on) is that we can
divide the world into two kinds of things: facts and opinions. Facts can
be proven. Opinions are subject to error. The way to change opinions is
to 1. prove the facts, 2. compare the facts with the opinions. 3. change
the opinions to match the proven facts. We can follow such a procedure to
formulate policy.

To formulate a policy, what we must do is first ascertain what are the
facts, also known as "objective conditions". Once we have established
what the objective conditions really are, it is a (relatively) simple
matter to prescribe a policy that will allow us to move those objective
conditions from state "a" (the current situation) to state "b" (an
improved situation). Step three is to present our objectively correct
prescription to the policy public for their ratification. Since public
opinion is likely to be infected with error -- also known as "false
consciousness" -- we should be prepared to back up our objectively
correct prescription with references to our correct analysis. If that
doesn't work we can move to the next stage, which is the objective
analysis of false consciousness.

So goes the parody. What is wrong with this approach? For one thing, it
has been tried and it has failed in practice. The reason it has failed,
the reason it will continue to fail, the reason it must fail, is that
there is simply no way to systematically separate objective and
subjective things into two neat piles.

When someone asks the question, "is this policy based on truthful
analysis?", they signal that what is to follow is critique (sometimes
known as "sterile critique"), not a genuine policy alternative. If you're
trying to develop alternative policies, you're more likely to be asking
pragmatic things like "was this policy adopted?", "was it implemented as
planned?", "did it produce the results it promised?", "were those results
beneficial (and to whom, in what way etc.)?", "what unintended
consequences did it have?", "did the policy advocates get re-elected,
promoted or burned at the stake?". The same kind of questions can be
asked in the subjunctive. Too many facts and too many opinions to even
contemplate sorting them into neat piles.

Now to return to Eric's actual argument.

God, the devil and Kondratieff long waves are stories that some people
use to help them understand how we have arrived at current
social-economic conditions. Judging from recent electoral trends, the
devil probably has a good lead over Kondratieff. We dismiss this
information at our peril.

Tom Walker
Vancouver, B.C.
http://mindlink.net/knowware/kondrat.htm