Many who knew David Gordon personally told us their experiences
with him. Some gave us their vivid memories with him. I, on the other hand,
knew David through his activities at URPE. His contribution to URPE is
invaluable during the fledgling years of the organization. For years David
managed URPE meetings at ASSA, participated in plenary sessions in crisis
theory when the 1980s crisis was raging under the cruel regime of
Reaganomics. He articulated very well his interpretation of the crisis.

        David's premature death is a big loss to all of us in general and
to URPE in particular. We all will miss him.

        We could relive his legacy and brand of Marxism that he represented
by honoring him in a manner that fits to him. I believe URPE should
schedule an event for his memory in next URPE-ASSA meetings and a lecture
series about his works and his approach in annual URPE meeting, the one
like Richard T. Ely Lecture that AEA organizes. In addition, the editorial
board of RRPE should announce a special issue in his honor and ask
contributions from those who are associated with his works and also from
those who are critical of David's analysis.

        I strongly believe in establishing a tradition of honoring those
who have made significant contributions to Marxian analysis and are no
longer among us so that their legacy can be kept alive to future
generations. Our bourgeois colleagues already have such traditions of
honoring their members and we could not do less.

                                                Fikret Ceyhun

+Fikret Ceyhun                                  voice:  (701)777-3348 work +
+Dept. of Economics                                     (701)772-5135 home +
+Univ. of North Dakota                          fax:    (701)777-5099      +
+University Station, Box 8369            e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] +
+Grand Forks, ND 58202/USA                                                 +