> Date sent:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
> Send reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:           Jim Westrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:        [PEN-L:6096] Future Nobel laureate

> >From the Wall Street Journal, Sept. 10th, *Work Week* column,
>
> TEACHERS' UNIONS hamper student achievement, a new study argues.
>
> School districts with teachers' unions have higher dropout rates, a study
> just published by the Quarterly Journal of Economics says. Caroline Hoxby,
> an assistant professor of economics at Harvard University, analyzed the
> high-school dropout rates at more than 10,000 school districts before and
> after they were unionized between 1970 and 1990, and discovered that
> districts had higher dropout rates after unionization. The study may help
> solve the mystery of why increasing school spending often has no effect on
> student achievement, says Larry Katz, the journal's editor.
>
> Once unionization's effects are controlled, measures such as raising teacher
> salaries seem to improve student achievement, Ms. Hoxby says. Nonunionized
> schools may be targeting spending more, she says, increasing entering
> teachers' pay rather than of all teachers uniformly. But the National
> Education Association calls the study, "hogwash," saying it is ridiculous to
> measure achievement only by dropout rates.
>
> Other smaller-scale studies show that unionization has slight positive
> effects, says Morris Kleiner, a University of Minnesota professor, including
> one that compared test scores of children in unionized and nonunionized
> districts.
>

> Jim Westrich
> Institute on Disability and Human Development
> University of Illinois at Chicago
>
> "Rags, old iron; all he was buying were rags and old iron."

RESPONSE:

I plan to use this one as a perfect example of the post hoc and
correlation equals causation fallacies. Perhaps the causality runs
this way:

feudal/fascist ----->increased need for a union\
administrators                                   \ correlation
       \                                         /
        \----->increased spending--->higher dropout rates
               on big offices/perks
               decreased spending
               on stimulating and
               relevant educational
               programs

  Both increased unionization and higher dropout rates are dependent
variables and a function of overpaid, underworked, megalomaniacal,
narcissistic, uninspired and uninspiring feudal/fascist
administrators who create the climate that leads to both the need for
increased unionization and higher dropout rates.

                                Jim Craven

*  James Craven             *"Concern for man himself must always  *
*  Dept of Economics        * constitute the chief objective of    *
*  Clark College            * all technological effort, concern    *
*  1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd. * for the big, unsolved problems of    *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663     * how to organize human work and the   *
*  (360) 992-2283           * distribution of commodities in such  *
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     * a manner as to assure that the       *
*                           * results of our scientific thinking   *
*                           * may be a blessing to mankind,and not *
*                           * a curse.                             *
*                           *    Never forget this when you are    *
*                           * pondering over your diagrams and     *
*                           * equations!"                          *
*                           *   (Albert Einstein, Speech at Cal.   *
*                           *    Inst. Technology Feb, 16, 1931)   *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION *