Though BUSINESS WEEK dubs it "One of the ten best business books
of 1995," I only got around to reading Frank & Cook's THE WINNER-
TAKE-ALL SOCIETY recently -- when it came out in paperback. (I'm
not finished, so what I say below is tentative.)

I think that though it's limited in its coverage and the
questions it asks, it's a very good book and I will recommend
that my students read it next semester. It's also very readable.

The main problem is that the book totally focusses on labor
markets (and how superstars win like crazy) and ignores capital
and class relations. But given that limitation, it's interesting
how the authors' story is so similar to that of Marx's
much-maligned "absolute general law of capitalist accumulation,"
the theory of the immiseration of the proletariat (a tendency
that seems to be operating these days). That "law" is, in
essence, that the winners (which for Marx consist of the
capitalist class as a whole) can build on their success to get
even more winnings, due to economies of scale and the like. Frank
& Cook's story of winners building on previous winnings is
similar, but relies on factors specific to the determination of
labor incomes. Their factors are largely technological or
sociological, but might be seen as being encouraged by capitalist
social relations.

Interestingly, just as with Marx, F & C's story has its
countervailing tendencies, which explain why the main trend
doesn't always manifest itself empirically. F & C don't talk
explicitly about the difference between their posited abstract
trend and the countervailing tendencies that lead to different
results at "a lower level of abstraction." But their theory can
easily be thought of in those terms. The countervailing factors
include the role of government restrictions on markets, informal
norms that do the same, unions, and (as a part of the main trend
itself), the possibility that technical change may favor niche or
boutique markets which are not large enough for the
"winner-take-all" phenomenon to arise.

F & C don't really have an explicit reason why the main trend
wins over the alternative "boutique" path, leaving the issue as
an empirical matter. But they give hints, which fit with Bennett
Harrison's recent book, LEAN AND MEAN. The fact is that even
though intracorporate relationships have increasingly been
marketized or decentralized, so that winner-take-all processes
can work more completely, the corporations still remain as large
concentrations of financial wealth. That concentration of wealth
is in fact increasing (fitting with Marx's posited tendency). The
concentration of financial wealth means that the big corporations
can set up their own niche or boutique operations as branches,
driving out the small operators. Getting beyond F & C's
labor-income focus helps fill in the gap in their theory.

Without the niche/boutique countervailing tendency, the only
countervailing forces come from outside the market (government,
unions, informal customs, etc.) So the book might be seen as an
implicit critique of market processes.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<74267,[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.