> "eurocentrism" needs
> to be retired from our vocabulary, since it acts only to deflect
> attention from the ills it pretends to name.
> Carrol

Term 'eurocentrism' is problematic although conception that eurocentrism
is colonizer's model of world (as jim blaut, no postmodernist, calls it)
seesm generally agreeable.  Term can, however, flatten complexity of
european culture and history that includes peripheral regions, social
classes, marginalized and stigmatized peoples.  Simplistic inversion
positing europe as 'evil' and turning colonialist model on its head
remains eurocentric since focus remains on Europe (and lets third
world elites off hook).      Michael Hoover