Doug Henwood wrote:

> I just heard from a friend of mine that the big U.S. federal budget bill
> was essentially a secret document. . . .

> As far as I know, this is unprecedented at the federal level. State
> legislatures act this way, but this seems to be a new low in federal
> budget-making.

Unsavory yes, but unprecedented no.  The infamous Reagan tax cut/budget
bill (OBRA 1981) was voted on notwithstanding the fact that there was
no official, completed draft.  Staffers were continually switching pages
with additions, corrections, deletions, etc. while the vote was taking
place.

I think this underscores the irrelevance of rules and even
laws in the budget/legislative process.  What you have are
deals between principals, sometimes where one side or the
other is at such a bargaining disadvantage that the dominant
side has some flexibility to massage the language of bills
regardless of mere voting.  That's why, for instance, the
line item veto is so trivial -- any budget that passes is
the result of a deal which would include agreements on most
provisions susceptible to veto.

M.S.

Max B. Sawicky                  202-775-8810 (voice)
Economic Policy Institute       202-775-0819 (fax)
1660 L Street, NW               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite 1200
Washington, DC  20036