>Blair,
>     You've got the concept right but the facts wrong.  It
>is the US that calls it the "Middle East."  The British
>called it the "Near East."  I think that you can figure out
>why and the significance of the shift in terminology.
>Barkley Rosser

Right. I've been careless. My apologies. It should be obvious that my
question/criticism refers equally to the "Far East" or "the Orient."
Actually, from the point of view of England, I'd think that Ireland is the
Far East.

And for the U.S. the Far East would be California. Hey, that's me! :)

Blair

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]