I read in the WSJ that the guarantees Ford and Chrysler made to keep
employment at 95% of current levels have some escape clauses:

1. The companies can cut jobs if there's an economic downturn (okay, we
knew this already);

2. They can eliminate jobs if they become more efficient at producing cars
(so there are no obstacles to replacing labor with capital);

3. They can cut jobs at specific plants deemed "troubled or uncompetitive"; and

4. they can eliminate jobs if "workers who have become redundant due to
productivity gains at certain plants turn down transfers" (did I hear
someone say bye-bye community?).

It seems that the only circumstance in which the job guarantee will take
effect is if a company wants to produce fewer cars because it loses market
share.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what exactly did the UAW gain with this
contract?

Blair

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]