Doug Henwood wrote:

> How do we know there's been a sharper concentration? Thirty years ago,
> there were three major players in the U.S. auto market; now there are what,
> 5 or 10?

Firstly: remember that the large auto corporations are TNCs which produce
and sell autos in many different national markets. Secondly: yes, the
statistics on concentration in the world auto industry will show that it
is increasingly concentrated.

> Another question - did the textbook world of perfect competition ever
> really exist? Or has something like oligpolistic competition been the only
> real historically existing kind?

Perfect competition is a historical fiction -- although, it is certainly
true that markets in general used to be more competitive in the classical
sense at earlier periods of capitalist history.

Jerry