Only Canadian subscribers will be aware that Barbara Amiel is the right-wing
columnist wife of Conrad Black, owner of the majority of Canadian
newspapers. Today, I had the unexpected honour of pinch hitting for
Barbara's opinion column in the Vancouver Sun. Don't be alarmed, "Barbara
Amiel will return next week." a note assures at the bottom of my opinion piece.

The headline for my piece came out with an appropriately neo-liberal
sounding slant: "The jobless rate will stay high until government eases
payroll taxes." The headline is not the best summary of my argument, which
is not that payroll tax rates are *too high*, but that the taxes are
*regressive* in their structure and that it is the regressivity of the
structure that kills jobs.

Elsewhere in today's Sun is the news that the Pope endorses Darwin's theory
of evolution and that Conrad Black's Hollinger Inc. has offered to purchase
51% of the shares of Southam (owners of the Vancouver Sun). Another story
highlights a report released by the Canadian Federation of Independent
Business called for reducing payroll taxes to stimulate hiring and
complaining about the current "coddled generation" of job seekers.

Me and Barbara Amiel

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose
nothing ain't worth nothing but it's free
Feeling good was easy, Lord, when Barbara sang the blues
Feeling good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and Barbara Amiel...
Regards,

Tom Walker, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (604) 669-3286
The TimeWork Web: http://mindlink.net/knowware/worksite.htm