>I guess I should explore your web site more because I'm
>not clear on what the politics of free time is about.
>If it's 'thirty for forty,' then a raft of economic
>doubts, or issues, at least, come into play. Work
>sharing is a different, more plausible matter, though
>I'm not persuaded that it is of such great importance
>as to be a 'politics' all by itself.

By all means explore my web site more, I'd also recommend the following for
more comprehensive theoretical and historical discussion:

- Andre Gorz, _Critique of Economic Reason_, Verso, 1989.

- David Roediger and Philip Foner, _Our Own Time: A History of American
Labor and the Working Day_, Greenwood Press, 1989.

- Benjamin Hunnicutt, _Work Without End: Abandoning Shorter Hours for the
Right to Work_, Temple University Press, 1988.

Roediger and Foner argue "The length of the workdays... has historically
been the central issue raised by the American labor movement during its most
dynamic periods of organization".

'Thirty for forty' is a slogan, not a politics. As for 'economic doubts', I
can't agree that political controversies -- even when posed as economic
issues -- are typically resolved by feasibility studies or cost/benefit
analyses. Again, I'll return to my argument that perhaps the long losing
streak of the left stems from its virtual abandonment of the working time issue.

May I add a footnote that could open a whole can of worms: In volume one of
Capital, Marx, distinguishes between the extraction of absolute surplus
value, achieved by the lengthening of the working day and relative surplus
value, achieved by lowering the costs of reproducing labour power. These two
methods of extracting surplus value correspond to two historically
distinctive stages in the organization of the labour process, which Marx
labels "Manufacture" and "Modern Industry" (or, in a previously unpublished
chapter, included as an appendix to the Vintage translation: the Formal and
Real Subsumption of Labour to Capital).

To make a very long story short: I would argue that current changes in the
organization of the labour process (flexible manufacture, contingent
workforces, etc.) strive toward a unique combination of absolute and
relative surplus value. So the length of the working day is not simply an
important issue, it is the central issue for a progressive politics.

Regards,

Tom Walker, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (604) 669-3286
The TimeWork Web: http://mindlink.net/knowware/worksite.htm