Michael Pereleman has asked for a time-out on this discussion on
postmodernism, and I think that is a good thing.  In the last few days it
seemed ever clearer to me that there were at least two issues at stake and
I just want to state them and let it rest for a further time, I guess.

Here are the two issues:

1.  What exactly is meant by postmodernism, deconstruction,
poststructuralism, what have you?  How, as an animating way of thinking,
does it suggest new questions and/or imply new approaches to analysis?
And, what are the specific contributions of certain authors, like Derrida
in _Specters of Marx_? Or, as I also wanted to suggest Judith Butler in
_Gender Trouble_.  I thought S. Charusheela's long, informative post was
excellent in laying the groundwork for such a discussion.

This set of questions would sometimes flow into another, which made the
discussion difficult at times.

2.  Why does postmodernism have to be written in a difficult language,
which only the cogniscenti seem to understand, and maybe they don't even
either?  How can we explain postmodersnim to people on the street, doing
everyday (meaning nonacademic) politics?

I think both sets of questions are important ones, but separable ones.  For
the second, as someone pointed out, the issue of difficult language and
specialized knowledge, is certainly not unique to postmodernism, as every
discipline has its hare of arcane knowledge.  In economics, just ask a
multi-equilibrium, sunspot, general equlibrium macroeconomist to try to
communicate with such a nearby-kindred spirit as a sub-game perfect game
theorist, and you can see easily how hard it is to communicate across
specialized areas of research.  How much should we be doing specialized
theory and how much should we be talking more generally is an open
question, but I certainly think both are needed.

Finally, on a slightly different note, I just want to make very clear given
the recent spate of personal attacks on mostly colleagues who are not on
this list, that my defense of Resnick and Wolff on a personal level (in
response to Rhon Baiman's original post), does not imply in any form a
critique of any other faculty member at UMass or any other place.  I have
learned from many people at UMass and elsewhere, not the least from those I
disagreed with most, and I have always appreciated that.

Steve Cullenberg

Stephen Cullenberg                      office:  (909) 787-5037, ext. 1573
Department of Economics                 fax:     (909) 787-5685
University of California                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Riverside, CA 92521