I have to say I feel pretty unhappy with the election results. Clinton's
victory is a Pyrhhic one, leaving Congress in the hands of the GOP. Nothing
will change. Had Clinton been just a little bit better, a little less
dishonest, a little better liked, it could have been a huge landslide on the
scale of '32 or '64. Dole served up no real opposition. But because he IS
truly sleazy and devoid of backbone, it didn't happen. The Indonesia
campaign contribution scandal was the back-breaker. If that hadn't happened,
or the election had been right after the last debate, he could have won by
20 points and brought Congress w/him.

Not that I have any confidence in Dems at all, I just wanted to see the
right go down hard, and be able to laugh at Rush, Newt, et al. Instead they
control half the gov't and the political discourse is guaranteed to continue
on its turgid path another 4 years. What bothers me most is many
"progressives" who are border-line between liberal and radical will continue
to interpret "the problem" as getting the GOP out of the Congress, and not
the system as a whole. If the Dems had taken over completely, once they
(too) failed to do (much of) anything real, the borderline liberal-radical
would be forced to move left. Since I think radicalization of such people is
an important (and achievable) short-medium term political goal, I see this
as a blown opportunity to have put the Dems fully in power, no excuses, and
let them show how inadequate they truly are.

I did vote for Nader and can't help feeling that it was a waste--not a word
in NY Times today or on tv about his vote total. I almost leapt for Perot in
the ballot box, but then thought of my friends who had worked very hard to
try make the Nader thing fly. This was another blown opportunity where blame
has to be laid at the door of the (non)candidate. If Ralph runs a real
campaign with real money, almost certainly he would have broken into the
scoring column. As it was, I think he only succeeded in reinforcing the
perceived quixoticness of 3rd parties on the left.

Thad
Thad Williamson
National Center for Economic and Security Alternatives (Washington)/
Union Theological Seminary (New York)
212-531-1935
http://www.northcarolina.com/thad