I'm forwarding a portion of a message from Greg Ulmer (a post-modernist if
anyone is) dealing with the term 'fetish' that we recently discussed on
Pen-l. This commentary throws a new twist on my assertion that
post-modernism takes a similar approach to language as Marx takes in his
analysis of the commodity fetish.

>  1--fetishturgy approaches "fetish" from a position considerably
>different from your starting point.  The point of departure is the status
>of the term "fetish" historically as pidgin Portuguese, used by
>Portuguese traders along the "Guinea Coast" in the 1500s to name objects
>whose valuation in African economy defied European valuation systems.
>You probably know the excellent history written on this term.  I am more
>interested in pidgin in general, in the discourse network of colonialism,
>as an analogy for projecting how a postcolonial "cyberpidgin" (contact
>between non-similar cultures online) might be theorized and practiced.
>One of the special features of interest in this linguistic context is
>that while there were and are many other pidgin terms from this same
>historical moment, "fetish" has a unique history.  During the seminar we
>explored the way in which nearly the entire history of modern theory
>could be studied as the dissemination of *fetish* into Western society.
>The heuretic approach, moreover, suggests that any such phenomenon be
>studied not only from the theoretical (hermeneutic) side, but also from
>the side of art making.  In this respect it is important to note the
>Western theorists tended to use *fetish* in a pejorative, denigrative
>sense (with various degrees of inflection), while artists tended to
>embrace *fetish* as a model for a new practice.  One implication is that
>it might be interesting to look at some other pidgin terms, to consider
>what they name, and speculate what will have the case if they had been
>taken up in the same way.

Regards,

Tom Walker, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (604) 669-3286
The TimeWork Web: http://mindlink.net/knowware/worksite.htm