At 7:07 PM 12/30/96, Robert Cherry wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Hmm, but the 1989 price deflator was 1.7 points above the 1986 one - not as
>> sharp a rise as the CPI, but still a 65% spike in the inflation rate. Not
>> that that's alarming to me, but it is/was to creditors.
>
>  This is hogwash.  The price of crude oil fell from $440 in 1985 to $223 in
>1986. Agricultural prices also fell.  This is why the inflation rate for 1986
>was so low.  (Not also the movement upwards of real oil prices from 1988 to
>1990).  Every serious analyst, especially Greenspan, knew this and that
>is why they all knew that  there was no trend whatsoever for the period
>1983-90.  For this reason, I stand by my previous conclusion:
>
>>   Thus, the FED responded in 1989 and 1990 to financial interests which
>>are tied to the CPI and not to any clear underlying evidence that there was
>>an accelerating inflation rate.

Here's how two CPI subindexes with minimal attachment to oil fared. Numbers
are year-to-year changes in the indexes.

CPI ex-food & energy
  bottomed 3.7% Feb 87
  peaked 5.7% Feb 91

CPI services
  bottomed at 3.9% in Jun 87
  peaked at 6.2% in Feb 91

Meanwhile, capacity utilization had been rising from the recession low of
76% in 1983 to almost 84% in 1989 (i.e. above the 82% inflation-danger
level), and unemployment had fallen from almost 10% to just over 5% over
the same period. For good Kaleckian reasons, even industrialists would have
to view the tighter labor market with some alarm. This is real
class-struggle stuff, not the figments of bond traders' and central
bankers' imaginations.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood