Subject: [PEN-L:7910] Re: Che and Cuba
Author:  Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at SMTPLINK-LMU
Date:    12/19/96 1:17 PM

Louis: This is one of the reasons I delete most PEN-L messages unread from
my incoming mail. I resubscribed because I am always interested in what Sid
Schniad, Doug Henwood, Patrick Bond and Jim Devine have to say. What I have
zero interest in is the sort of abstract textbook questions that people like
Burns, Rosser and all the other contributors to academic journals specialize
in. Unless you re-phrase the question in terms of "How did the Cubans manage
their economy during the 1960s through the 1980s given the existence of
Soviet aid..." In other words, you need to flesh the matter out by reference
to history and politics. (That of course is the Marxist approach.)

This sort of question smacks of the sort of sterile chit-chat that Burns
would have with the guy who sits down the hall and teaches Microeconomics 103.

It doesn't interest me whatsoever. I feel stupid now even opening up Burns'
email and expecting something interesting with a heading like "Che and
Cuba." He might as well have put a heading on it like "Gomulka and Poland"
or "Hoxha and Albania". What a pedantic bore he is.