> From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:       [PEN-L:7683] Rifkin

> Jeremy Rifkin shouldn't be faulted for being invisible. He's
> probably busy cranking out books, a worthy type of labor even
> though his products are so deeply flawed. Also, an emphasis on

No disagreement here.

> technology as the source of all evil doesn't encourage social
> activism (that's uniting theory and practice!)

I guess the most galling thing is the contrast between the
media attention he soaks up and the lack of tangible
political impact.  This isn't simply a matter of 'just' writing
books.  If I see someone like Noam Chomsky get quoted on
some issue, I get the feeling a political statement has been
made.  To try to be a little more specific, a political statement
entails attaching some kind of analysis to an identification of
friends, enemies, and some type of appropriate response,
even vaguely described.  Although I don't buy any of it,
S. Tell's statements are overtly political.  What political
conclusion is one moved to after reading or hearing Rifkin?
That's not a rhetorical question.  I'd like to know.

> BTW, he used to really active. Back in 1976, he organized one of
> the three alternative to the US bicentennial celebrations. Even

I had forgotten about that.
It was a crock, but it was something.

MBS
Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute.