At 9:01 AM 12/23/96, Michael Perelman wrote:

>Does anybody have a good feel for the history of the cpi struggle?  I
>remember during the early Reagan years, the administration was arguing
>that housing prices were overestimated because the price of rents was not
>increasing as fast as the price of houses.
>
>Was that the first salvo?  Hasn't Heritage been cooking this project ever
>since?
>
>Why did Robert Gordon sign on?  I know he has been pushing the idea that
>the computer price index was overstated.
>
>Why hasn't Doug Henwood published this scoop?

I haven't a history at hand, but I wrote a longish piece in LBO about the
CPI struggle a year or more ago (which I'm about to post to the web site),
and discussed the housing issue several years ago. As I recall, Bob Pollin
and someone (Michael Stone maybe?) did a fine piece in Challenge on the
housing controversy.

The right has been pushing this line for quite a while, but I think
Greenspan's endorsement of the overstatement thesis is what really gave it
mainstream political life - that, plus the realization of the budgetary
magic a CPI rethink could perform.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood