Doug H asks,
> How did you measure the social wage, Eric?

Answer: very poorly, but better than others have done it.

Key: the social wage is generally presented as the contribution
government programs make to the standard of living of employed
workers.

Determining the size of the social wage requires determining
what government programs benefit the "average worker" and,
then, determining the contribution these programs make to
the worker's standard of living. Neither of these tasks
is easy (or, maybe, even possible).

Those who have previously calculated the size of the social
wage have assumed that all programs that can generally
be identified as "social welfare" programs benefit employed
workers. (For instance, that ALL spending on the social
security program that goes to retired workers benefits
employed workers!) They have also assumed that current
government spending on each of these programs is the best way to
value the contribution these programs make to a worker's
standard of living. (For instance, the 3-fold increase in
per student educational spending over 1950-1990 means that
students now get 3 times the educational services they
did 40 years ago.)

I try to be more careful when I identify which programs benefit
employed workers and also when I estimate the contribution
government programs make to workers' standard of living.
Not surprisingly, my estimates of the social wage is smaller than
those made by others.

I'll send you a draft paper that explains some of the details.

Eric
..
Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics