EPI is preparing a report which shows a strong link
between crime rates and conditions in the low-wage
labor market (i.e., better conditions, less crime,
as one might expect).

mbs

Charles Brown wrote:

>I have to agree with Jim D. that the drop in unemployment would be a
>traditional left mentioned factor.

Yes, but the trend predated the recent lows in unemployment, and
there's been a sharp drop in crime in NYC, where unemployment is
still quite high (and the employment-population ratio quite low,
lower than a comparison with the national U rate might suggest).

CB: Would there be comparable imperfections in the correlations  with the
other factors mentioned as cause of crime drop ?

CB