On Fri, 12 May 2000, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The original question, incidentally, was offensively arrogant. "What
> has the left to offer as a model for Vietnam?" This is to view "The
> Left" as the friendly neighborhood pharmacist offering kindly
> advice to the mother of a child with a cold.

No remedies here, just questions. "The Left" means dissidents, activists
and honest cadres in Vietnam as well as those in the American one-party
state (it has two branches, but we know who pays the piper). Nike has
45,000 workers in Vietnam. Hundreds of thousands more will soon be working
for GE, GM, Sony, Daimler and many others. In a real sense, if the Left
does not come up with alternatives, then there really will be no
alternative for Vietnam but to hitch their train to keiretsu capitalism,
now will there?

-- Dennis