Jim Devine wrote,

>BTW, Tom's point about how Doug's trends work when disaggregate
>is a good one. If I had the stats, I'd like to know the how the
>experience with unemployment spells has changed holding age,
>gender, race, industry mix, etc. constant. What do the Canadian
>stats say, Tom?

The following doesn't directly answer Jim's question, but is suggestive in
that at the bottom end of the earnings distribution, the decline of annual
hours reflects mostly an increase in the incidence and duration of
unemployment and only a modest shift to part-time and temporary work. At the
top end of the earnings distribution the increase in annual hours reflects a
dramatic increase in the weekly hours of more highly paid workers. I cite
the Morisette article because it is available on the internet from the
statscan site:

http://www.statcan.ca/Documents/English/Vlib/Research/ana80.htm

Why Has Inequality in Weekly Earnings Increased in Canada?
by René Morissette
No. 80:

"Inequality in weekly earnings increased in the eighties in Canada. The
growth in inequality occurred in conjunction with three facts. First, real
hourly wages of young workers dropped more than 10%. Second, the percentage
of employees working 35-40 hours per week in their main job fell and the
fraction of employees working 50 hours or more per week rose. Third, there
was a growing tendency for highly paid workers to work long workweeks. We
argue that any set of explanations of the increase in weekly earnings
inequality must reconcile these three facts. Sectoral changes in the
distribution of employment by industry and union status explain roughly 30%
of the rise in inequality. The reduction in real minimum wages and the
decline of average firm size explain very little of the growth in
age-earnings differentials. Skill-biased technological change could have
increased both the dispersion of hourly wages and the dispersion of weekly
hours of work and thus, is consistent a priori with the movements observed.
Yet other factors may have played an equally important - if not more
important -role. The growth in competitive pressures, possible shifts in the
bargaining power (between firms and labour) towards firms, the greater
locational mobility of firms, the increase in Canada’s openness to
international trade, the rise in fixed costs of labour and possibly in
training costs may be major factors behind the growth in weekly earnings
inequality in Canada."
Regards,

Tom Walker
knoW Ware Communications  |
Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   |          "Only in mediocre art
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |        does life unfold as fate."
(604) 669-3286            |
     The TimeWork Web: http://mindlink.net/knowware/worksite.htm