Rakesh writes: >>If Indonesian capital can escape the contradiction between
production and consumption through the export of consumer goods--as
suggested by Jim-- why
can't US capital escape the same contradiction through the export of
investment goods to markets in Asian and Europe?<<

To some extent, the US has escaped that contradiction, in that way. The US
isn't booming these days because of consumption demand. The US sells
computers, etc., to the rest of the world. Among other things, as NPR
reported yesterday morning, Clinton is pushing the sale of US weapons all
around the world (more aggressively than any other President except Nixon,
says NPR; my feeling is that relative to GDP, Clinton is probably more
aggressive).

However, the US, more than any advanced industrial economy in the world, is
constrained by domestic markets, so the relatively high wages here help
stabilize the US economy. Nonetheless, as the globalization trend
continues, the US boom becomes more and more constrained by _world_
consumer demand and thus world wage income; as the "downward harmonization"
of wages (relative to labor productivity) and social programs continues,
it's going to drag the US down along with other countries.

>>In other words, hasn't the "globalization" of investment demand allowed
US capital to escape the limits of insufficient domestic consumer demand
and thus terminate the
Marxian contradictions?<<

I don't think that the underconsumption tendencies referred to above (both
by myself and by Rakesh) represent the sum total of the "Marxian
contradictions." Even if world wages were to boom (relative to labor
productivity), in other words, capitalism would have its crisis tendencies.
And my attitude toward underconsumption is more complex than in the
discussion above, which seems crudely underconsumptionist: see my 1994
article in RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.