Michael Hoover suggests (correctly, I think) that the fact that the jobs in
the southern US didn't pay well meant that there were inadequate consumer
markets in the South, so that there was no self-sustaining growth; the
actual growth was jump-started by military-related spending.

If we go further south (and east), the direct foreign investment in places
like Indonesia doesn't face the same market problem. Transportation (and
communication) costs are much lower than they were before WW II, so that
people in Indonesia don't have to buy Nikes and similar products to sustain
that country's growth. Of course, nowadays, the fear is that growth will
pull wages up in Indonesia (or encourage strikes, as recently), undermining
its competitive advantage in offering a low-wage labor force. (Heck, that
sounds like Greenspan's fears!)

Anyway, the point is that the move from the northeast US to the South is
not exactly analogous to that of movements further south and east.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.