> Michael Hoover responded to my question about the integration of the U.S.
> South into the national economy, saying that the government expended
> considerable resources to encourage investment there.
> Why did they have to expend funds?  Why was the investment so slow in
> coming.
> Michael Perelman

Proponents justified the use of subsidies to attract new industries by
arguing that areas lacking investment capital, consumer demand, and
skilled workers needed special features to make them more attractive to
potential investors.  As I suggested in my previous post, the incentives
often lured competitive sector, low-wage manufacturers most in need
of savings.  Thus, the South's early development, characterized by poorly
paying, slowly growing industries, did not create rapid, self-sustaining
expansion that might have generated more capital and demand.  The
subsidies helped to perpetuate the conditions that justified the use of
the subsidies.

Post WW2 military spending and the proliferation of military facilities
and production plants in the South provided an important infusion of
capital.  These operations, in turn, led to growing in-migration of
people.  Later, when US industries such as auto and electronics began to
face increasing foreign competition, southern locations that offered
low-interest financing, cheaper labor, and lower taxes were attractive
because of the aggregate savings they offered.  And the enerby crises
in the 1970s enhanced some of the South's climatic advantages.

Wilbur J. Cash - in his 1941 *The Mind of South* - reflecting upon
the half century that had passed since Henry Grady (the Atlanta
Constitution publisher who coined the term "New South") had campaigned
for industrial growth, wrote that the South had yet to move beyond its
plantation past.  A decade later, C. Van Woodward argued - in his *The
Origins of the New South* - that a post-Reconstruction shift of power
away from a weakened planter class to middle-class industrialists had
occurred.  The latter, however, maintained loyalty to the region's
traditional socioeconomic and politcal relations.  More recently,
Gavin Wright - in his 1986 *Old South, New South* - suggested that
the mobility of capital now links the two eras.  Many of the forces
that contributed to the nationalization of the South's economy also
led to the southernization of the US economy...Michael