Okay, to used a mixed metaphor, I'll bite this thread.  I have a
love/hate relationship with Foucault's work that includes both a lot of
respect and a lot of problems.  I think Foucault deserves our respect if
for nothing else because he was a political activist who was out on the
streets confronting cops, helping prisoners organize themselves and speak
out, and fully immersed in gay and lesbian grassroots activism.  This
is more than one can say of most other Pomo authors and, unfortunately,
of most people on Pen-L for that matter.  I think it's grossly unfair to
just dsimiss him with a comment of "rubbish."

Foucault's main influence on today's lesbian and gay movement is probably
his conception of power.  For Foucault, power is mainly exercised
through control over discourse: People in power control how our lives are
spoken about and what options we are allowed to declare for ourselves.
The objective of people whose power is taken from them is to find ways to
speak up and to point to the contradictions in the dominant discourse as
a way of exploding it.

This type of thinking has had a temendous influence on the AIDS activist
movement.  At the beginning of the epidemic, people with AIDS were talked
about through the discourse of public health, and policies that were most
widely thrown out were those of control (quarantine, contact tracing,
etc.).  Through the process of self-organization and speaking out in various
ways, people with AIDS (fka, "AIDS victims") began to be seen as faces
and human beings.  They began to appear in unexpected places demanding
things on their behalf. Tactics in AIDS activism have often centered
around finding ways to poke holes in public discussion, whether through
embarrassing people in high places, getting arrested for doing
"reasonable" things, or simply rasing spectacles where bourgeois
propriety (and the law) would not have them.  The discouse now focuses on
treatments for PWAs and support for people in high-risk groups.

Thinking about activism this way is not a substitute for a materialist
analysis of AIDS or anything else.  ACT UP has always made some clear
materialist points: Our main enemies are drug companies who do research
on a for-profit basis, ignoring promising but unprofitable therapies and
charging tens of thousands of dollars a year for the drugs they do
develop (I and 72 other people were arrested yesterday for blocking
access to the New York Stock Exchange in protest of drug prices).  Our
other big enemy is the for-profit health care system and we are very
clear on why the US has no universal health coverage.  People in ACT UP
also have a very clear understanding of how corporations control public
research funding and the state in general.

It is problematic that Foucault saw his analysis in contradiction to
materialism in many ways.  Primarily, his analysis of the "repressive
hypothesis" in the first volume of _The History of Sexuality_ describes the
repression of homosexuality as waning throughout the century because the
discourse around homosexuality was expoloding, and he offers this piece
from, say, John D'Emilio's _Capitalism and Gay Identity_, which
describes material repression of homosexuality in response to the growth
of gay and lesbian households in the early twentieth century. I side
unambiguously with D'Emilio, but I also think that Foucault's points
about exploding discourse are worth tackling because understanding
consciousness is a big part of understanding the subjective element of
making history.

It is possible that the right stew of Marx, Gramsci and Chomsky could
come up with a basis of understanding discourse that is firmly grounded
in materialism.  But it hasn't happened yet, at least not in a way that
incorporates the many innovative ideas about seizing language that Foucault
held.  Foucault wrote at a time when the relationship between Marxism and
feminism was still being redefined, and when Marxist discourse about
homosexuality was barely existent.  Many marxists still have bad sexual
politics.  Meanwhile, Foucault has influenced many lesbian and gay
academics and political activists.  It is partly due to his influence, I
think, that the Marxian discourse about homosexuality has changed.  He
does not deserve to be spat on.

Comradely,
Tavis