The market teaches people that they DESERVE to get in accord with the
market determined value of their contribution. The market teaches people
to think that way every day -- just ask my students! But progressive
taxation requires one to think that to each according to the market value
of his or her contribution is NOT fair. That this outcome is sometimes
highly inequitable and not really the proper measure of what is equitable
at all. This problem will not disappear even should people get "better
service for their tax dollar" -- although it wouldn't hurt to improve
the efficiency of public spending. I'd start, of course, with not spending
two thirds of my federal taxes on the military and debt service.