Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 17:16:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:  Soc Humor: HOW TO SPEAK AND WRITE POSTMODERN
                   HOW TO SPEAK AND WRITE POSTMODERN
             by Stephen Katz, Associate Professor, Sociology
                             Trent University
                       Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

    THE RULES

    1.  First, you need to remember that plainly expressed language
        is out of the question.  It is too realist, modernist and obvious.
        Postmodern language requires that one uses play, parody and
        indeterminacy as critical techniques to point this out. Often this
        is quite a difficult requirement, so obscurity is a
        well-acknowledged substitute.

           For example, let's imagine you want to say something
           like, "We should listen to the views of people outside
           of Western society in order to learn about the cultural
           biases that affect us". This is honest but dull. Take
           the word "views."  Postmodernspeak would change that to
           "voices," or better, "vocalities." or even better,
           "multivocalities."  Add an adjective like "intertextual,"
           and you're covered. "People outside" is also too plain.  How
           about  "postcolonial others"?

        To speak postmodern properly one must master a bevy of biases
        besides the familiar racism, sexism, ageism, etc.

        For example, phallogocentricism (male-centredness combined
        with rationalistic forms of binary logic).  Finally "affect us"
        sounds like plaid pajamas.  Use more obscure verbs and phrases,
        like "mediate our identities."

        So, the final statement should say, "We should listen to the
        intertextual, multivocalities of postcolonial others outside of
        Western culture in order to learn about the phallogocentric
                   biases that mediate our identities."  Now you're talking
                   postmodern!

       2.   Sometimes you might be in a hurry and won't have the time to
        muster even the minimum number of postmodern synonyms and
        neologisms needed to avoid public disgrace.  Remember, saying
                  the wrong thing is acceptable if you say it the right way.

        This brings me to a second important strategy in speaking
        postmodern -- which is to use as many suffixes, prefixes,
            hyphens, slashes, underlinings and anything else your computer
            (an  absolute must to write postmodern) can dish out.

        You can make a quick reference chart to avoid time delays.  Make
        three columns.  In column A put your prefixes: post-, hyper-,
        pre-, de-, dis-, re-, ex-, and counter-.  In column B go your
        suffixes and related endings: -ism, -itis, -iality, -ation,
        -itivity, and -tricity.  In column C add a series of
        well-respected names that make for impressive adjectives or
        schools of thought, for example, Barthes (Barthesian), Foucault
        (Foucauldian, Foucauldianism), Derrida (Derridean,
                    Derrideanism).

        Now for the test. You want to say or write something like,
        "Contemporary buildings are alienating."  This is a good
                    thought, but, of course, a non-starter.  You wouldn't
                    even get offered a second round of crackers and cheese
                    at a conference reception  with such a line. In fact,
                    after saying this, you might get asked  to stay and
    clean
                     up the crackers and cheese after the reception.

                      Go to your three columns.

        First, the prefix. Pre- is useful, as is post-, or
        several prefixes at once is terrific. Rather than "contemporary
        buildings," be creative. "The Pre/post/spacialities of
        counter-architectural hyper-contemporaneity" is promising.  You
        would have to drop the weak and dated term "alienating" with
                  some well suffixed words from column B. How about
                   "antisociality", or be more postmodern and introduce
                    ambiguity with the linked  phrase,
                     "antisociality/seductivity."

        Now, go to column C and grab a few names whose work everyone
        will agree is important and hardly anyone has had the time or
                  the inclination to read.  Continental European theorists
                  are best, when in doubt.  I recommend the sociologist Jean
                  Baudrillard  since he has written a great deal of
                  difficult material about postmodern space.  Don't forget
                   to make some mention of gender.
        Finally, add a few smoothing out words to tie the whole garbled
        mess together and don't forget to pack in the hyphens, slashes
            and parentheses.

        What do you get? "Pre/post/spacialities of counter-architectural
        hyper-contemporaneity (re)commits us to an ambivalent
        recurrentiality of antisociality/seductivity, one enunciated in
                  a de/gendered-Baudrillardian discourse of granulated
                   subjectivity." You should be able to hear a
                    postindustrial pin drop on the retrocultural floor.

       3.  At some point someone may actually ask you what you're talking
        about. This risk faces all those who would speak postmodern and
        must be  carefully avoided.  You must always give the questioner
        the impression that they have missed the point, and so send
        another verbose salvo of postmodernspeak in their direction
        as a "simplification" or "clarification" of your original
        statement.

        If that doesn't work, you might be left with the terribly
        modernist thought of, "I don't know."  Don't worry, just say,
            "The instability of your question leaves me with several
        contradictorily layered responses whose interconnectivity cannot
        express the logocentric coherency you seek.  I can only say that
        reality is more uneven and its (mis)representations more
        untrustworthy than we have time here to explore."  Any more
        questions?  No, then pass the cheese and crackers.

Arthur B. Shostak, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology, Department of
Psych/Soc/Anthro, Drexel University, Phila., PA, 19104; 215-895-2466; fax
610-668-2727.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://httpsrv.ocs.drexel.edu/faculty/shostaka/
"This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it."  Ralph Waldo Emerson