Max, in his response to my request for references in Marx to
war ---> public debt ---> exploitation of workers ---> primitive
accumulation implies disagreement with Marx and the relationship
of war to public debt and defends public debt contracted to finance
social services.
  I should point out my interest is not in the current situation (which
is hardly one of primitive accumulation in any case.)  In Canada today
the military budget is miniscule and, thanks to the invaluable help
the Canadian forces were in fighting our recent floods, I would
hardly want to cut them any further.  Furthermore, as a strong
supporter of keynesian demand management, I would hardly want to cut
spending on social programs at a time when unemployment is running at
almost 10 per cent.
  My question was in reference to a research project I have under
way about the impact of the 1st World War, in particular on how
it was financed and the effect it had in consolidating industrial
capitalism and creating a rentier class and promoting class conflict
which broke out at the end of the war (Winnipeg General Strike in
particular but also the farmers' revolt through the Progressive
Party.)  The Royal Commission on Dominion-Provincial Relations (1939)
explictly blames the financing of the war for the emergence of class
and regional conflicts but without any theoretical understanding or
interpretation.  What I am attempting to do is a reinterpretation of
the accepted 'conservative' view of the importance of the war.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba

ps.  Max, thanks for the reference to epn.org -- a very useful site
for progressive and liberal web pages.  For the rest of
pen-l-ers, note that I have receive only 3 responses on suggestions
of progressive web sites. No one else have any recommendations?