According to an editorial in the last (Sep 22) issue of The Nation,
Messinger endorsed a police demand to arm themselves with hollow-point
bullets -- a military-style weapon that inflicts massive damage to human
body.  Contrary to what I suggested in my previous missive, the article does
not say whether she earned an endorsement for the police circles in return
for that.  That means that I either erred on the police endorsement of
Messinger, or that I got the info correctly but from some other source which
I cannot recall.

OTOH, a liberal endorsing the above stated position without getting anything
in return is worse than a sellout (which implies a quid pro quo) -- it means
kow-towing to the police state mentality, as The Nation's editiorial suggests.
wojtek sokolowski
institute for policy studies
johns hopkins university
baltimore, md 21218
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (410) 516-4056
fax:   (410) 516-8233

POLITICS IS THE SHADOW CAST ON SOCIETY BY BIG BUSINESS. AND AS LONG AS THIS
IS SO, THE ATTENUATI0N OF THE SHADOW WILL NOT CHANGE THE SUBSTANCE.
- John Dewey